Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Transition Tip 7—Use Coconut Milk instead of Cream

One way that dairy gets into the diet is through the morning cup of coffee.   I have used different milk substitutes in my coffee such as soy milk, rice milk, and almond milk.  None of these milk substitutes gave me the same satisfying taste as half and half until I tried coconut milk. 
I’m not talking about the coconut milk that comes in a can.  The canned coconut milk is generally used to make curries.  Personally, I’ve never really liked the canned coconut milk, so I never tried it before I went to the City (San Francisco) for my birthday. 

I went to Café Gratitude a vegan restaurant in San Francisco.  I ordered a cup of coffee, and it came with a little container of coconut milk.  I poured the coconut milk into the coffee and instantly I knew the combination was going to be delicious.  The coconut milk swirled in the coffee with the effect of the most gorgeous caramel color.   I lifted the cup of coffee to my mouth.  I could smell the deep riches of the roasted coffee and the succulent fat of the coconut milk.  I pursed my lips and let the sweet, caramel colored liquid slide into my mouth.  It was yummy!  

Ever since then, I switched to coconut milk in the carton.  Give it a try instead of half-n-half in your coffee or instead of milk with your cereal.   You can use it to bake with or to make ice cream with.   

No comments:

Post a Comment