Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Transition Tip 4—Cut up your Fruit


I start my day with fruit.  It gives my body energy to get through the day.  I feel light and alive when I have fruit for breakfast.  Fruit is also a great alternative to bacon & eggs, or yogurt, or some type of animal product. 

When I first started the vegan diet, I thought it was a hassle to eat fruit because I had to peel it or get it ready to eat.  But through experience, I have found quite the opposite.  To prepare bacon, it is necessary to process the body parts of a pig.  Take the process pig parts and cure it.  When the pig parts are cured, they become bacon.  The bacon is separated and each hunk of bacon is sliced into pieces, the pieces are placed in a plastic wrapping labeled with safe meat handling instructions.  The bacon is now shipped across the country to be placed in your grocer’s refrigerated section.  You stroll by your grocer’s refrigerated section pushing your cart, and you stop.  You pick up this package of bacon, place it in your cart, and stroll off.  I will not go into detail about the process of how your grocer acquires the eggs that you purchase for the morning breakfast of bacon & eggs, but just know that it is involved. 

 Think about this comparison between bacon & eggs and pineapple & cantaloupe.  All you need to prepare pineapple & cantaloupe is a knife.  You cut it; you eat it.  With bacon & eggs, you have use pans, fats, spatulas, heat, maybe a bowl depending on how you want your eggs; it is involved.

When you think about, it is easier to prepare fruit for breakfast.  This also sets you up for successfully eating vegan because you have food there on the table ready to be popped in your mouth.    

The Benefits of Pineapple & Cantaloupe:

Pineapple is great for inflammation.  It contains bromelain (enzymes), which my help to reduce inflammation.  Bromelain is great for digestions.  Studies show that pineapple is an immune boaster, and is great for arthritis, asthma, PMS, sore throat.

Cantaloupe has a mega amount of beta-carotene and vitamin C, which is great for vision problems.  As you know, I have glaucoma.  The potassium in cantaloupe may help lower the blood pressure.   


No comments:

Post a Comment